“Metcon” is short for Metabolic Conditioning. It describes a type of workout that combines strength and cardio conditioning, as well as both aerobic and anaerobic exercises.
Because you recruit all three of your body’s energy pathways – phosphagen, glycolytic, and oxidative – all at the same time, you get one of the most fat burning AND lean muscle building workouts that is humanly possible!
Here’s a sample training session:
20-min Kettlebell Metcon Workout
Set your timer for 20 minutes. Do as many rounds as you can of the circuit below. Recommended weight for this one is 24k / 53 pounds for men, 16k / 35 pounds for women:
– 20 two hand KB swings (recommended weight = 24k / 53 pounds for men, 16k / 35 pounds for women)
– 12 push ups (perform from knees or with hands elevated for beginners; perform from toes for intermediate / advanced trainees)
– 10 KB goblet lunges per side (recommended weight = 20k / 44 pounds for men, 12k / 26 pounds for women)
– 7 burpees (pick version / modification that is right for you)
Like this workout? Take the next step by signing up for my 28-day Kettlebell Metcon Challenge. Registration opens later this week!
– Forest Vance, Kettlebell Expert, Over 40 Training Specialist