The Turkish getup, along with the kettlebell swing, forms the foundation of HardStyle kettlebell training. It is, however, a tricky exercise to master –
Here is a video (this is a clip from my premium kettlebell workouts mega-bundle package, by the way) that breaks the Turkish Get Up down into easier-to-digest steps – check it out:
1. Start the move lying on your side with the kettlebell at your shoulder. Pull the ‘bell into your frame, roll to your back, and punch the KB up towards the ceiling.
2. If you are on your right side, your right heel will be tucked up to your right glute. Your left leg will go out slightly at an angle along with your left arm.
3. Now, drive through the right heel and punch up towards the ceiling. Straighten out the bottom arm so you are supporting your weight with your bottom arm completely outstretched.
4. Drive the hips towards the ceiling, come up to a bridge position, and bring the foot through the hips. Shoot to get the knee that’s coming thru to land right by the hand that’s on the ground.
5. Come up to your lunge position and get set. Brace the abs, make sure the bicep is directly by the ear and the shoulder supporting weight of kettlebell is tight and stabilized. Stand up!
I hope this video helps you refine your technique in the tricky-to-master kettlebell Turkish Get Up exercise. Talk to you soon –
P.S. To learn more about the Kettlebell Basics Premium Workout Mega Bundle I mentioned earlier in the article, click here
P.P.S. If you’d like to get kettlebell training tips and tricks like this one delivered to your email inbox every week – AND get a free copy of my Beginner’s Guide to Kettlebell Training – please sign up for my email newsletter by dropping your name and best email into the box at the upper right hand corner of the page!