You’ve got an EPIC kettlebell session planned for the day and want to make sure you’re feeling great and firing on all cylinders … here’s the pre-workout scene:
It’s two hours ’till kettlebell time. You have your standard pre-workout meal with just the right balance of protein and carbs. Time to start getting your mind right for the workout ahead …
Finish up work for the day and KB time’s almost here. You slam down your pre-workout supplement mix, change clothes and head to the training center …
Walk in the door, throw on your favorite workout tunes and you’re ready to rock. You get a PERFECT warm-up, including some foam rolling, joint mobility, and dynamic stretching … and it’s time for the main event!
Now you’re fired up and ready to hit your best kettlebell challenge workout ever! I do workouts like these every month at my Sacramento kettlebell gym, and they’re hard to beat for shocking the body and building mental toughness. Give one (or all) of the workouts below a go and kick your results into overdrive:
Kettlebell Challenge Workouts
- This challenge has four circuits with five exercises each. There should be no rest between the exercises and your goal is to do each circuit in less than three minutes.
- This is a 500 rep challenge with ten exercises, fifty reps each, with as little rest as possible between the exercises. You are not allowed to move onto the next exercise until you have completed fifty reps.
- (Challenge 2, same creator) http://www.ptgear.co.uk/fitness-news/kettlebell-workout-500-rep.html
- This is a 500 rep challenge with ten exercises, fifty reps per exercise. Just as Marianne demonstrates in her other challenge, you must complete all fifty reps prior to moving onto the next exercise.
- With 300 reps total, this challenge incorporates everything from swings to halos. In order to see your progress, you should do this challenge every month or so and attempt to beat your initial time.
- This challenge has a great (and difficult) kettlebell warm-up to lead you into a 300 rep challenge. You are trying to shoot for a low time with the challenge so the key is speed and proper form.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpbM9nzDcM Here is a sample video demonstrating the exercises above. Instead of squat thrusts, it includes the full on burpee. You may choose to modify with the squat thrust, or do a complete burpee.
- This challenge incorporates cleans, jerks, and snatches. You are going for time with five reps on each side.
The kettlebell challenge workouts in this article are a great starting point for keeping your current kettlebell routine fresh and testing your mental toughness. Thanks for reading, train hard and talk soon -
Level II Certified Russian Kettlebell Challenge Instructor
PS - I’ll be holding an in-person, one day kettlebell workshop in about a month in the Sacramento, CA area … if you can make it out, we’d love to have you. Keep an eye on your email inbox for exact details about class time and location!